Saturday, November 5, 2011

Week #2: September 18, 2011 – September 24, 2011


            Today I got to meet some of the other interns.  Since there is so much work to be done before the opening, Chris said they have more interns than they normally need.  Holly is working in the library, Alyssa is working with the curator, Bethany.  Bethany actually has her master’s degree from Loyola’s Public History Program!  There are a few other interns who work days I do not, but I think there are five or six of us.
            This week I worked a lot in the basement organizing the mess of boxes, or attempting to at least.  I know very little about museums and the way they are organized, but I am a little OCD about my organization, and man, oh man, the basement is a mess.  All the artifacts are in boxes, many of which are unlabeled! And they are just sitting on the floor! My job was to put the ones I could lift on the fancy shelving units, to be organized later.  I asked Chris about the organization and he said that the museum’s collection has expanded dramatically over the last few years and he has a two-year plan to get the whole place cataloged and organized.  The shelves are pretty awesome and Chris said they are pretty typical of most museums.  They can all be moved several at a time to be able to access all artifacts. 
            I was a little frustrated that my job today wasn’t more “museum-y” but I know it was a job that needed to be done, and interns usually do the stuff no one else wants to!  I can tell that there is so much that needs to be done in the next six weeks that Chris and the other staff members don’t even know where to start! Chris said that these first few weeks will be a lot of boring, monotonous grunt work but that soon I’ll be working on some more interesting projects! 
            So far, I’m liking my internship! Chris is really awesome.  He’s 26 and likes good music and movies and we have a fun time working together.  I’m looking forward to getting to know some of the other staff members, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment